GHOST AND SPIRIT PARANORMAL - Burlington County Prison in Mount Holly, New Jersey
Thursday, 2016-12-08, 11:19 AM
Welcome Guest

Site menu
Statistics

Total online: 1
Guests: 1
Users: 0
Login form
May 26 - Burlington Historic Prison Museum - Mt Holly, NJ


GREAT TIME HAD BY ONE AND ALL

Needless to say, everyone who had joined us on this investigation had a blast. Our team cannot thank Ileana and Nina enough for the invite of a lifetime. We had met the mother and daughter (the New Jersey Girls) when they joined us on our investigation at the Battlefield Bed and Breakfast investigation in Gettysburg in January. Shortly after they contacted us asking us to join them for this investigation in New Jersey. Well they didn't have to twist our arms very far... LOL. We have been fighting tooth and nail for sometime now to get into a prison to investigate. It was well worth the 3 hour trek, and we pulled some great evidence out of there.


EVIDENCE SECTION

EVP

PHOTO

VIDEO


DESCRIPTION / HISTORY

Designed by Robert Mills, it was one of his first efforts as an independent architect. This crowning achievement was open for business as the Burlington County Prison in 1811. Robert Mills, one of America 's first native-born, trained architects, came up with a well-thought out plan, which spared this prison what other prisons experienced; fire, destruction and loss of life because of it. The prison has interior vaulted ceilings of poured concrete, and with brick and stone walls, the prison was fire-proof, which gave it a long life, in constant use until 1965.

This solid building which was in use for 154 years had a basement, and two floors, originally built to handle 40 guests of the state. The warden's house eventually was located next door to the prison, connected by a tunnel.

Originally when the prison opened, the warden and his wife lived in two large rooms located on the main floor. The warden's wife was to supervise the women inmates, while the warden ran the ship as enforcer of the rules of the jail.

Throughout the prison, cell blocks were organized into units of 4 individual cells, each with its own fireplace, opening off a short hall at each end of the floor. Each cell block held people accused of the similar offense/ criminal type & sex. Women inmates, habitual criminals and first offenders were three of the categories, segregated in the housing plan.

Then, there were those imprisoned because of their debts, still being done in 1811. They were kept in the larger rooms off the main hallways, which could accommodate 3 or 4 men in each room. They were allowed to move about the place in daylight hours and be employed in the basement workshops, probably with the idea of working off their debt.

The Basement - Was designed to house a workshop, where the incarcerated, both men and women, were expected to learn a skill, so that when they had done their time, they had a way to be in lawful employment. The kitchen and all supplies used in prison life were in the basement. Another room in the basement was designed to be the dining room, and a controlled access to the exercise yard, which was surrounded by a twenty foot, imposing wall.

The dungeon or maximum security cell was not in the basement but was located in a room in the center of the second floor, surrounded with small areas for guards or visitors, with an iron ring in the center of the floor for the incarcerated person. It was the only room without a fireplace, but had a small window, located high up on the wall. It was a cold place to spend the night, often used for the last night before the condemned would die by hanging out in the yard.

Outside the main building in the yard there was a area where the inmates could tend a small garden and also a place where a set of leg stocks was located where all could see, for the punishment of uncooperative / rowdy ones, which is a more humane way to punish than what was used in other prisons. There was also a place in the yard for a portable gallows to be put up on the many occasions when people who were convicted of a capital crime were hung without exception, as authorized by law by the state of New Jersey. All persons who were convicted in Burlington County came here for the carrying out of their sentence. The last such execution was in 1906, a double hanging of the murderous duo, Rufus Johnson and George Small. I guess, after 1906, executions took place in another facility.

There were some escapes planned and executed, with a few successfully gaining their freedom, if only for a short time. In 1875, some enterprising souls made a hole in the roof from a cell and then climbed down a huge pile of wood stacked by the prison wall.

In 1965, the prison was bursting with 100 inmates so they were moved to a bigger location, an old converted armory located behind the prison. In 1983, a new bigger prison was built somewhere else, becoming the new place of incarceration.

The Prison now is a Historic Landmark and a nice museum, a fascinating place to learn about prison life. It still holds a few entities who don't want to leave. This became evident when in 1999 renovation work began on the run-down building, in order to create this museum for the public.


Paranormal Claims

Previous investigations of this old prison by other research groups have yielded a high amount of spiritual activity including positive photos and EVP's.  Researchers have heard cell doors slamming shut on their own, and two researchers were physically pushed by unseen hands.

Calendar
«  December 2016  »
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Search


Proudly Affiliated with Ghostvillage.com!



Ghost Hunter Store


Palmyra Historical Society
We are listed at the www.topparanormalsites.com website. Click here to vote for us.. Thank you :-)